DIY: Sardine Dog Biscuits
It has been a while since I made some dog treats myself so I thought now would be the perfect timing with World Animal Day around the corner!
To make some quick and easy biscuits you will need*:
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 small can sardines in water
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs. flaxseed oil
- 1/3 cup water
*Feel free to change the recipe! Use another fish or leave out the polenta and add more flour to the dough instead. You also don’t have to use flaxseed oil. Another oil is good too! If you are not sure about using garlic, just leave it out, too.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F)
- Start by removing any fishbones and save the water in the can.
- In a medium bowl mix together the: sardines with the water, eggs, garlic, oil, and water.
- Add the flour and polenta and mix until combined.
- With your hands form a dough ball and spread the dough on a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to your preferred thickness and cut out some cookies.
- Place cookies on a with parchment paper covered baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for about 25 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cookies it might be shorter or longer).
- Let the cookies cool down and store them in an air tight container.
Be aware making these delicious dog biscuits will fill your kitchen with a fishy smell. The texture of my cookies turned out great! Crisp but not too crumbly.
By the way, this recipe is inspired by this lady. She has lots of great recipes on her website!